The Bullitt County History Museum

It Happened in 1922

Over the years, Charles Hartley has shared glimpses of what was being printed in The Pioneer News in different months and years. This page includes what was taken from the issues of 1922.

January 1922

The County School Board selected J. T. Harris, of Mt. Washington as Chairman and E. Z. Wiggington as Vice Chairman. Mr. H. M. Trunnell and Mr. Emerson Welch were sworn in for 4 years by Mr. Lindsay Ridgway.

Thomas L. Mattingly, who represented the lower section of the county, was the son of the late Wat Mattingly and had many relatives in the county. He was married, had one son, and had served on the school board longer than any of the other members.

E. Z. Wiggington, next oldest in point of service, was born at Mt. Washington and educated at Bardstown. He lived on a farm near Hebron, was married and had several children.

J. T. Harris was born and reared near Mt. Washington, and was considered the one who looked after the financial part of the schools. He signed all checks of every kind. He was a son of the late William Harris, whose seven sons were among the leading men of that section. He was married to Hettie Ridgway Harris, a former teacher.

H. M. Trunnell, son of Col. Neil Trunnell, had just been elected on the board by a large popular vote for 4 years. He never missed a single meeting during the 8 years he represented the Leaches section of the county.

Emerson Welch, the youngest man on the Board, both in age and point of service, was elected last fall for a term of four years. He hailed from Pine Tavern and was born in the Pitts Point section.

S. G. Thornberry of Mt. Washington, a local insurance agent, was on his way to Frankfort to represent Bullitt and Spencer counties in the General Assembly. This was his second trip, having been there in 1918 as well.

A party was given by Miss Hazel Dell Trunnell at the home of her parents in Shepherdsville. Present were Evelyn Adams, Dorothy Maraman, Anise Smith, Mary and Hattie Mae Buckman, Kathrine and Etta Nusz, Hazel Livers, Ruth Thompson, Lena Patterson, Elnora Glenn, Helen Burkholder, Willie Mae Ridgway, Fronie James. Gentlemen at the party were Linton Weller, Curtis Smith, Bud Combs, Jerome Monroe, Walter Livers, Clarence Stansberry, Pat Pope, Roy Thompson, Pat Cruise, Robert and Brooks Tyler, Orbie Lee Masden, Charles and Theo Combs, Sam Ridgway, Robert Hays Simmons, along with Dr. and Mrs. S. H. Ridgway.

The Hebron correspondent reported that Paul Holsclaw spent the New Year in Chicago. He enjoyed his stay in the windy city, but would make his next visit in a milder season.

Judge J. A. Shelton performed his first marriage ceremony. The couple were Ben Roby and Blanche Greenwell of Leaches.

And out Pleasant Grove way, Marvin Stallings went to the woods to cut timber and carried his dinner and hung it up in a little sapling. At noon, he went back to eat his lunch, some one had eaten and emptied the dinner pail, so Mr. Stallings worked all the afternoon without dinner as it was too far to go home.

February 1922

The paper contained numerous death notices and reports of illness. One example stated, "Phillip, little son of Mr. and Mrs. Genus Crenshaw, died of pneumonia following influenza and measles. He was buried here last Saturday at a brief funeral by Rev. E. D. Ryan."

As we make our way through the current pandemic, remembering that the effects of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic lingered into the early 1920s should give us pause, and encourage us to do whatever we can to hasten its end.

We read the obituary of Clara Hughes Newman, wife of John Newman of near Bardstown Junction. She had moved here from England about 30 years earlier and reared a fine family seven children that included the late Elizabeth Chapeze, wife of Ben Chapeze, and Arthur Newman who would die in 1929, leaving his wife Thelma, and two daughters Sarah and Clara.

The Fiscal Court met and let the poor farm to Charles Harris for a year. He was to receive his and his family’s board and $300 per year to take care of the paupers.

In the latest diploma examination, 35 of 41 students passed, led by Mildred Beeler of Lebanon Junction and Hazel Funk of Cupio. They will be entering high school in the fall.

Out at Belmont, "the many friends of Gilbert Bradbury, Tad Murray, Lee Logsdon and Clyde Elmer Roby were glad to hear of their good luck in passing to High School."

Mack Jones, Jr., better known as Jack Jones, was giving up delivering the Louisville newspapers as delivering the papers made him tired, and didn't pay enough to buy a pair of second handed brass toed shoes.

In the Personals column, the editor wrote, "Gussie Swearingen, the elongated clerk at Troutman Bros. Store, works in the day time like a house afire, but at night he becomes a regular parlor ornament. Just as soon as the somber shadows of night close about him, he changes clothes and goes to see his best girl."

George Bowman sold his store at Salt River to Mr. and Mrs. Len Daugherty, who were planning to continue running it as a general store.

Following the holidays, a number of Bullitt County young people were heading off to college, including G. L. Bridwell, Elizabeth Cash, Mary Weller, Mable Snellen, Neva Magruder, Estelle Landers, Willie Mae Ridgway and several others who entered school at Bowling Green.

The Hebron correspondent wrote, "Miss Elizabeth Bailey deserves the prize for regular attendance at S.S. She has not missed a day in almost nine years. She attends Hebron and at Christmas was presented a pin in recognition of 8 years attendance."

And she also wrote, "Mrs. J. C. Gardner has a very attractive new residence with modern improvements, electic lights, etc, but to us who have spent so many happy hours in the old home with the Summers family, it seems tragic to see it abandoned with all its hallowed memories."

March 1922

The March 3rd issue of the paper reported, "The fire here last week destroyed nearly $100,000.00 worth of property with insurance of less than half of this amount. The heaviest losers are: Boes, Hall, Ice, Patterson, Weatherford, Armstrong, Tuckers, Smith and Co., Lutes & Co." According to the paper, the only walls left standing in that part of town were the old brick walls of the first jail Bullitt County built over 115 years earlier. A couple of weeks later, the paper reported, "The old brick walls left standing after the fire have been pushed down by the boys and the last of Bullitt’s first jail is about gone."

To learn more about a series of destructive files that destroyed many Shepherdsville buildings in the 1920s, visit the History Museum website and search for "Shepherdsville Fires in the 1920's."

A Shepherdsville High girls' basketball team made up of Beulah Lee, Janice Harned, Mary B. Hill, Thelma Hatfield and Martha Hill defeated a strong Louisville team 8-7.

Gabe Summers, Charles Bradbury, Ray Walker, James Stallings, Perry Mumford Jr., Patrick Pope, Robert Simmons, Brooks Tyler, and Hobart Roby traveled to Lexington for a basketball tournament. They split the two games they played.

Dr. George Barrall wrote to the paper telling of meeting Abram and Neal Brooks at a Kansas City automobile show. They were representing Mercury Body for Fords that was made by Ellsworth McCormick, another Bullitt County man.

H. G. Elliott, of near Brooks, had a ewe to give birth to four lambs, all of which lived. After they were about 8 days old, he took two of them and will raise them on a bottle.

Jack Morrison, who made his home at Bardstown Junction for several years, sold his home there and with his family moved to his farm a few miles below Belmont. He was the father of Jimmy Morrison who died in the 1917 Shepherdsville train wreck.

Dr. J. G. Dodds, a well known physician of the county and a trustee in the Bardstown Junction school, sold his house and lot and moved to Ohio where he would engage in farming. His property was purchased by Attorney A. E. Funk of Brooks. Dr. Dodds was also aboard the train in 1917 and sustained serious injuries.

Hattie Haskell, a Louisville nurse, came home to Solitude to care for her brother J. V. Rouse and his wife, both of whom were ill with the flu.

Sam Ridgway of Shepherdsville was elected captain of the 1923 University of Kentucky basketball team at a meeting of the five letter men. Ridgway, guard on the Wildcat squad in 1920 and 1921, was a member of the team that won the Southern championship.

And Rev. W. B. Gwynn wrote to the paper's editor requesting to extend his subscription four more years for he was "deeply interested in the welfare of all those with whom I was ever so closely identified." Rev. Gwynn had started The Pioneer News some 40 years earlier, the first newspaper in Bullitt County. He was also the professor at Pitts Point. You can read more about him and his brothers by visiting the History Museum website and searching for "The Brothers Gwynn."

April 1922

Misses Evelyn Adams and Dorothy Maraman entertained with an informal dance. Present were Misses Hattie Buckman, Etta Nusz, Clara Johnson, Mary Buckman, Eleana Glenn, Ada Buckman, Hazel Dell Trunnell, Ophelia Masden, Wanda Adams, and Messrs James Stallings, Clarence Stallings, Gabe Summers, Charles Lee Bradbury, Orbra Lee Masden, Robert Hays Simmons, Curtis Smith, Brooks Tyler, Pat Pope, Robert Tyler, Jerome Monroe, Theodore Combs, Bill Griffin, and Golden Hall.

The School Board elected the following teachers for the fall session: Nichols - Christina Armstrong, Shades - Margaret Chambers, Woodland - Tom Stallings, Licks - Willie Quick, Mt. Elmira - Aldena Barrall, Hebron - Miss Magruder, Brooks - Evelyn Sutton, Zoneton - Meta R. Cooper, Sugar Valley - Elizabeth Cash, Glades - E. Nora Bridwell, Pleasant Hill - Mabel Snellen, Victory - Ruth Crenshaw, Woodsdale - Mary Weller, Hobbs - Elizabeth Vittitoe, Clermont - Thelma Daugherty, Glen Ella - Willie Mae Ridgway, Pitts Point - Beulah Lee, Hays - Mary Stallings, Cane Run - Ida Mae Greenwell, Harned - Ruby Houck, Mt. Carmel - Ruth Murray, Culver - Janice Harned, Oak Grove - Mary Crenshaw, County-Substitute - Hewitt Harned.

The usual suspects were drafted to serve on the Circuit Court petit jury. They included Frank Carpenter, Pearl King, Fred Bogard, N. J. Cundiff, Charles Nelson, J. L. Quick, Charles Burns, Ed Owens, Stoney Weller, R. W. Childers, R. B. Hall, Ambrose Skinner, John Greenwell, W. T. Jenkins, S. O. Armstrong, Jim Taylor, Buck Close , I. T. Mudd, Lee Barger, Albert Armstrong, W. P. Foster, Lee Bolton, J. H. Shelton, Charles Starks, Virgil Hibbs, Albert Fisher, Burr Gentry, Joe Dawson, Henry Davis, and Virgil Duvall.

That was after O. P. Means, the grand jury foreman, and his cohorts James King, Lowell Hall, Arthur Ice, Ambrose Ridgway, George B. Herps, J. C. Thornton, S. S. Barger, John Adams, Basil Scott, Robert Shanklin, and W. A. Cook had approved all the charges.

The paper reported that as Misses Berle, Ernestine and Dorothy Hall were on their way to school at Shepherdsville one morning, the pony they were driving became frightened as it passed Wax Simmons’ place and ran away, upsetting their buggy. Fortunately, none of them were hurt, although Miss Berle’s clothing was badly torn as she was thrown against a wire fence. Ouch!

In Mt. Washington, Mrs. C. O. Parrish opened her millinery store at her home and had a lovely new line of goods on display.

Also, Lee McArthur and Frank Parrish, of Louisville, spent the weekend with Paxton Parrish. Frank said he was tired of city life and will try the country again.

The Pleasant Grove correspondent reported on the death of "Aunt Axie" Stallings at the age of 82. She had always been industrious and a good neighbor. She left a son, John Stallings and five grandchildren; also a sister, Mrs. Tillman Ridgway.

The correspondent for the column titled "On the Mt. Washington Road" wrote that J. D. Hough had spent a weekend with his daughter, Mrs. Rosa Simmons; that Mrs. Jane Hall was having a new hen house erected; and that Robert Sanders lost a horse the previous week.

And in the Personals column, we learned that Dr. Ridgway spent a weekend in Lexington, and that Colonel Billy Preston, considered the ladies man of Clermont, visited from Chapeze.

May 1922

Students at the Shepherdsville school performed a play titled "Irish Stew." Among those who participated were Rodger Alford, Mildred Hagan, Pat Cruise, Orville Jenkins, Willowdean Froman, Louise Shelton, Minnie Mae Combs, Onnie Magruder, W. T. Whitman and Lena Patterson. The play was under the supervision of Miss Amy Rose Troxler.

In the Pleasant Grove column, we read that "The Proctor truck took to market last week a bunch of hogs for Will Bleemel and two calves, one for T. H. Wise and one for Elbert Bass." The columnist also wrote that Jasper Hall was still suffering with rheumatism.

The paper mentioned that C. P. J. Mooney, managing editor of a Memphis, Tennessee newspaper was in town and briefly visited his Bardstown Junction farm. Mooney was a son of John Francis Mooney, the ancestor of our fine county clerk.

The paper reported that John Boes awarded the contract for the erection of his new store house to the firm of Jenkins and Essex of Elizabethtown, the same firm that was building the Bullitt County Bank Building.

They wrote, "Mr. Boes will have a splendid building. It will be of brick, fifty feet in length, two stories high. The contract price is $5,713.00. Work will begin on it at once and will be pushed to completion just as soon as possible."

His store was one of the buildings burned in the February fire that swept part of town.

The May 12th issue of the paper reported that the Corinth school was being abolished. They reported that its students would move to the Nichols school, and that a truck would run from the old Greenup Miller farm to Nichols, and W. S. Pauley and others were trying to raise funds to run a wagon from Briar Creek to Nichols.

In early May, Ella Mae McAllister celebrated her 12th birthday with the following friends: Frances Cruise, Inez Bergen, Ruby Bergen, Mildred Bergen, Christine Stansbury, Myrtle Ruth Stansbury, Catherine Triplett, Lucille Triplett, Amelia Elizabeth Hoagland, Grace Morrison, Julia Coniff, Grace Magruder, Mary Owens, Ruth Owens, Minnie Lee Shaw, Anna Mae Lynch and Blanche Stansbury.

The paper bragged about the fine students coming out of the Shepherdsville School, and named the following as examples: Chester Hardin went to the U. S. Naval Academy; John Glenn went to the University of Virginia; Samuel Ridgway to State College; Joseph Blankenship at Centre College; Misses Mary Stallings and Elizabeth Weller to State College; Muir Funk and Tom Trunnell to Georgetown and Robert Tyler to State College. The paper praised Professor Jack Sanders and his splendid teachers for the school's accomplishments.

The paper went on to name that year's high school graduates. They included Lena Patterson, Mary Buckman, Ruth Crews, Lillian Daugherty, Frances McAllister, Julia Ashe, Mary Blanche Hill, Ruth Patterson, Beryl Hall, Brooks Tyler, Gabe Summers, Curtis Smith, Morrison Ward and James Stallings.

And the highest honors in the 1922 class at Lebanon Junction went to Barrett Murray, the oldest son of Dr. B. A. Murray and Tillie Hedge Murray. The paper described him as "an athlete of no mean ability and a very promising young man in every way."

June 1922

William H. Hays Jr., a prominent farmer and former representative of Hardin County in the legislature, died at his home in Shepherdsville. He was a brother to the late Thomas Hays, former lieutenant governor. He was survived by his widow, Mrs. Kate Hays; two sons Bradford and William; and three daughters, all of Bullitt County, Mrs. J. B (Nannie) Rouse, Mrs. Henry (Hallie) Hamilton, and Mrs. Robert (Clara) Simmons. His family had moved to Bullitt County a quarter century earlier.

James W. Thompson, 82, suffered a stroke while sitting on his front porch, and never regained consciousness. Known by folks around as "Neighbor Thompson," he was born in Bullitt County in 1839, and married Martha Jane Friddle in 1859. His survivors included Phil Thompson, Mrs. Kate Lutes, E. B. Thompson, Mrs. Fronie Samuels, Mrs. Augustine Foster, and Lillian Thompson.

Mrs. Janie Chappell Masden, wife of Roy L. Masden, died at her home near Tappan in Bullitt County after a lingering illness. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Chappell, born on Chappell's Ridge in lower Bullitt in 1893. Surviving her were her husband, their son Roy Jr., a brother Joseph C. Chappell, and a sister Mrs. C. E. Rogers.

And the people of Leaches District were shocked to learn of the shooting death of Lee Middleton. He was born in Bullitt County in 1875, and married Daisy Crenshaw in 1900. Dr. J. H. Shafer, Coroner of Bullitt County, empaneled a jury that decided he had been shot by someone unknown.

The local police force captured Joe Gilbert and Roscoe Tucker with 80 gallons of "white mule" which was dumped in the river. At trial, Gilbert was found guilty, but appealed to a higher court; Tucker's jury was hung, and the case against him was dropped.

John Glenn, one of the past "prize scholars" of Shepherdsville High School, was home visiting from the University of Virginia where he stood near the top of his class. He planned to remain home for a bit to earn money to continue his education, and was clerking at the Maraman store.

The original plaster on the old Bullitt County Bank was being done by the sons of Ike Edmondson, a former resident of Bullitt County.

Miss Inez Kirk was married to Solomon Neill Brooks Jr. at her home near Hebron.

The editor wrote "The contract for hauling school children from J. L. Quick’s to Shades and from Barrallton to Nichols has just been given to James Marcum and A. A. McKinley. Mr. Marcum has had this work for several years and has given good service to his community while Mr. McKinley is a citizen of the right type for looking after young folks and we are fully satisfied both routes will be well looked after."

And there were a lot of proud papas strutting around and passing out cigars, including Golden Hodge, Martin Polly, John Greer, Milton Warren, Stonewall Tinnell, Ralph Cundiff, Leonard Daugherty, Elmer Welch, and Professor Jack Sanders.

July 1922

The death of Lee Middleton, that we mentioned last month, led the second coroner's jury to conclude that the evidence showed he had been killed by someone else. Then later in the month, William Murion was charged with the crime. However, in a December Circuit Court trial he was found not guilty.

The newspaper reported, "Two school wagons will be run this year to haul school children to Nichols. Mr. A. A. McKinley will run a big motor truck from the Henry Able farm, which will completely abolish the Corinth district, while Mr. W. S. Paulley will run a wagon from Weavers Run section by Stites and bring in all the pupils living on the county border line."

Jackson Morrison and his wife Minnie suffered a second loss in less than a decade when their litte two-year-old daughter Verna drowned in a farm pond. They had lost their son Jimmy in the 1917 Shepherdsville train wreck.

Besides the larger schools in the county's three towns, and the three small segregated schools for black children, there were 30 small community schools scattered across Bullitt County. The school column listed the names of all the teachers who would be leading those schools in the new school year. They included Beech Grove - Blanche Cundiff, Brooks - Evelyn Hardy, Cane Run - Ida P. Hicks, Cedar Grove - Fay Magruder, Clermont - Lula Cook & Thelma Daugherty, Culver - Janice Harned, Glades - Nora Bridwell, GreenBriar - Mary Powell, Harned - Ruby Houck, Hays - Mary Stallings, Hebron - Neva Magruder & sister, Hobbs - Elizabeth Vittitoe, Licks - Willie Quick, Mt. Carmel - Ruth Murray, Mt. Elmira - Aldena Barrall, Mt. Olive - Sallie Self, Needmore - Rosetta Woods, Nichols - Mary Weller & Christina Armstrong, Oak Grove - Mary B. Crenshaw, Pitts Point - Ida M. Greenwell, Pleasant Grove - Mable Snellen, Shades - H. Q. Harned, Sugar Valley - Elizabeth Cash, Sunny Side - Martha Hornbeck, Victory - Ruth Crenshaw, Whitfield - Sylvia Phelps, Woodlawn - Tom Stallings, Woodsdale - Margaret Combs, Zion - Ella Hardy, and Zoneton - Meta R. Cooper.

Miss Fronia James held the lucky No. 938 at the Red Men’s Picnic July 4th and won the new Ford which was given away. Miss Fronia says she is now looking for a nice young man to drive the auto. (She was Nancy Strange's aunt, and about age 60 in 1922.)

Louis Stottman Jr. and Miss Ophilia Bivens, along with Miss Lillian Stottman and Taylor Perkins gave their friends the slip the 4th of July and crossed over the river to Jeffersonville and were married.

A group from the Methodist Church in Shepherdsville motored to Shawnee Park in Louisville for a picnic outing. They included Misses Mary E. Powell, Mary Palmer Combs, Margaret Combs, Ethel Mae Cochrane, Carolyn Hackney, Minnie Mae Combs, Ruby Peak, Pauline Peak, Mary Grace Peak, Elizabeth Weller, Lillian Thompson, Margaret Farris, Zollie Swearingen and Mrs. Dove Troutman; as well as the following gentlemen: C. F. Troutman, Charles Ashby, Gussie Swearingen, Thos. Stallings, Theodore Combs, George Peak, O. W. Pearl, Howard Joyce, and Thomas Hackney. Rev. and Mrs. D. R. Peak were chaperones.

And for those who remember schools without air-conditioning, you can appreciate a July comment from one correspondent. "Miss Meta Cooper has opened school at Beech Grove. Poor children! Poor teacher! Dog Days!"


Copyright 2022 by Charles Hartley, Shepherdsville KY. All rights are reserved. No part of the content of this page may be included in any format in any place without the written permission of the copyright holder.


The Bullitt County History Museum, a service of the Bullitt County Genealogical Society, is located in the county courthouse at 300 South Buckman Street (Highway 61) in Shepherdsville, Kentucky. The museum, along with its research room, is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday. Admission is free. The museum, as part of the Bullitt County Genealogical Society, is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization and is classified as a 509(a)2 public charity. Contributions and bequests are deductible under section 2055, 2106, or 2522 of the Internal Revenue Code. Page last modified: 01 Aug 2022 . Page URL: bullittcountyhistory.org/happened/1922.html